Wednesday, March 11, 2015

2015 Goals

Though the first quarter of 2015 is nearly in the books, I never set goals for 2015. I was a bit distracted with my new baby girl and prepping the house for her and my wife's baby shower. Though I had a mixed bag of results in achieving my goals in 2014, it was still a great year. 2015 looks promising, but what are my goals?

1) Earn $16,000 of dividends: At the start of the year, my portfolio was set to earn $12,961 of dividends in the coming 12 months. Today, that number is at $13,771. I don't see a ton of value out there right now, but I'll still continue to make modest purchases because cash flow is better than cash.

2) Have my portfolio set to earn $20,000 dividends in 2016: This goal will require investing $125-150k throughout the year. While this is a HUGE chunk of money, I think it is achievable. I tend to hold a lot of cash, especially early in the year as that is when annual bonuses are paid. Combining my cash horde with consistent monthly savings could put me in the realm of investing this amount of money.

3) Sleep at least half of my daily commute: With the new baby, my sleep cycle is messed up. I've always been an 8-hours per night kind of person. That cycle will be messed up this year, but I luckily have a ridiculous 2-hours each way commute. I have ample time to sleep on the train and will endeavor to take advantage of it this year to catch up on sleep.

4) Weigh 190 pounds by Thanksgiving: There's an old wives tale that if the father gains weight during the pregnancy, it's a girl. Well, I gained about 20 pounds during my wife's pregnancy. I hope to reverse that gain. She also gained weight (though with a real excuse) and we can now lose the excess together. I know I'll gain some weight during the Holidays, which is why my goal is for Thanksgiving - so I don't have to scrimp when the good food makes an appearance!

5) Earn side hustle revenues of $1,200: I've never built a side hustle. I've dabbled in things here than there that sometimes make a bit of money. I don't even care if I make money doing random things that add up to my goal. Or one big side job that nets me the entire $1,200. I just want some hard proof that it's not impossible to make a bit of money outside of a job. This will help ease my mind about early retirement without being 100% financially independent. 

6 comments:

  1. BGH,

    Best of luck with your goals. I really like your aggressive divends goals. Hopefully the market provides some good opportunites to buy low. Tobacco, REITs, and energy look very attractive, albeit with some risk.

    MDP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MDP,

      It wasn't long ago when it dawned on me that dividends equal freedom. I've shifted my portfolio to maximize fredom and minimize trading, which has been a great success.

      I'm into domestic exposure right now and avoiding currency risks, so REITs definitely fit that mold. Smallish manufacturers too. Utilties and telecom are intersting too. I've got enough energy for my needs at about 12% of my portfolio. DAKT after the earnings miss and stock collapse carries a 4% yield and is very interesting here.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Some serious goals BGH - putting $125-150k to work is more than a sizable bump to the portfolio.

    Perhaps another goal might be to change up the 2-hour commute? Yikes! At least you can recover on sleep...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. w2r,

      Yeah, $125-150k is some serious money! It'll be a reach, but I'm confident I've got a shot at it.

      And the commute is here to stay for a while. My employer has antiquated views on telecommuting and my job all but necessitates working in a major financial center (NYC, Chicago, London, Hong Kong, etc). And I'm not moving. Aiming for early financial independence - which will solve the commute issue.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Doing great buddy. Congrats on being so far toward your goal less than half way through the year. $10k is virtually assured for 2016

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot. Progress comes in fits and starts, but I should hit my goals.

      Delete