Wednesday, October 1, 2014

2014 Goals: Q3 Review

My goals for 2014 were pretty aggressive. I tried to challenge myself. Without lofty goals and huge dreams, what's the point? As a results-driven person, I've got to have a destination in mind to succeed. My goals are clear for this year (and the next few years) - to retire early by building up passive income. So how have I done so far this year on meeting my goals? See below:



1) Finish the house renovation: Continuing to make progress, though summer always slows things down. I'm about 40% done painting the exterior of the house. We've also made huge progress on finishing the nursery for our baby girl.

2) Bench 275 pounds and work out more regularly: Summer again got in they way here, but I'm getting back to a regular 2-3 times per week schedule. I was getting up there in bench press weight, but the summer break has brought my strength back down a bit. 

3) Figure out what to do in early retirement: Still pondering...there are endless possibilities at this point, and it's fun to entertain each of them for a while. Getting a PhD and/or becoming a Realtor top the list at the moment.

4) Earn $10,000 of dividends in 2014: I've earned $7,631 in dividend income so far this year. With recent purchases (and a special dividend or two), I think I'll squeak by the $10,000 mark for the full year.

5) Have my portfolio primed to earn $12,000 of forward dividends by year-end 2014: With my portfolio currently at $12,838 for the next 12 months and three more months of purchases ahead, I have exceeded this goal. I've still got quite a bit of cash in my account after my unexpected mid-year raise, so a market pull-back or correction would be a great opportunity that I'm ready to take advantage of.

4 comments:

  1. Those are damn strong results! Keep pushing hard.

    MDP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This has been a record year in a lot of ways for me. Looks like you're pushing just as hard this year (especially lately).

      I'm gearing myself up mentally for a major market pullback and the corresponding buying opportunity. I've been pretty good at buying aggressively on the dips and letting cash build until the next pullback. I think this could be a big one to end the year.

      Delete
  2. Very awesome goals and you've achieved great results so far. It's very impressive with your dividend income, hopefully I can get to that point in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tawcan. Getting dividend income isn't rocket science. It's about staying committed to putting excess capital into sound companies over a long period of time. I'm sure you'll get where you want to be by sticking to your plans.

      Delete