Wednesday, September 17, 2014

New Portfolio Addition - Baby Girl

I'm really excited to announce a pending addition to my (family) portfolio - a baby girl! My wife and I decided to give having kids a whirl and had success. The baby is due in late March. My wife is a teacher, and as such, gets her summers off. We determined that having a baby would be best in the early spring time frame, so she could let her maternity leave extend right through the summer. We decided to give it a try this year and hope for the best, and luck was on our side!

I've been wanting a kid for quite a while. Part of the reason we moved back to our hometown was to raise our future kids near family. Our life is pretty well set up to begin this next chapter. I'm sure there will be tons of lost sleep and opportunities to socialize, but I've never heard anybody say the rewards of parenthood don't outweigh the downsides.

With a baby on the way, my dreams of being just like Mr. Money Mustache and following his advice to retire before having kids won't come true. But having a baby on the way makes me want to pull forward independence as quickly as possible. I think I could cover my living expenses through passive income in about two years, but we'll see how costly raising a kid really is.

In any event, I'm really excited to be a dad. There is nothing like the bond between parents and their children and getting to re-experience the world through the eyes of a child will be super fun. I can't wait to teach the baby everything I know and gain a fresh outlook on how simple things are all that really matter. 

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on your new addition coming in March. You seem very excited about becoming a dad and all that it entails. Look forward to your continued dividend success as well and passive income updates. Your portfolio has many common names among the dividend blogging community but many I haven't seen before or considered. Thanks for sharing your news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm very excited to be a dad. It seems like there's nothing like it.

      And I try to find great companies that fly under the radar, but there's no need to fully re-invent the wheel and avoid classics. It's all about diversification, right?

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your impending child! A truly exciting time in your life. As for the investing, it will continue no doubt, and that passive income stream will keep growing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm pumped about the future. And next to watching a kid grow up, there's nothing better than watching passive income grow.

      Delete
  3. Congrats! As a new parent myself it's wonderful seeing my son growing up. Enjoy your time with your wife now because things will change once your daughter is born. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm sure there will be major changes in our relationship with a kid. I'm really looking forward to growing up again through my child.

      Delete