Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Leaks

Walking into the laundry room in the basement, I had always noticed a bad smell. I figured it was some remnant of a former owner or had something to do with being such a water-logged environment. After having the house ozoned, which removes all smells, the smell still lingered. After some investigation, the culprit was a gas pipe with a bit of a leak. Even further snooping led to another gas leak.



While changing out the kitchen faucet from a broken, ugly model to a newer, functional model, one of the local shutoff valves sprung a leak. I turned off the water for the house. Between this water leak and the aforementioned gas leak, I needed a plumber. Plus, my wife and I bought all new appliances and needed to run gas connections to the new locations. While waiting for the plumber this morning, my wife noticed that the water heater had a leak. Maybe it's just me, but the thought of all of these leaks means my bank account has sprung a leak as well. My original $40 thousand target for fully renovating our house might prove too low. I'm sure we could come way under budget, but I have visions of costs piling higher and higher.


2 comments:

  1. This post needs to be expanded upon, no explanation of how to fix a gas leak or the costs, also can't a gas leak kill you, does it still smell bad from gas, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments. The way I fixed the gas leak was to call a licensed plumber. I had not seen a bill at the time I wrote the post, so I couldn't comment on cost. (I still have not gotten a bill, so again can't elaborate.)

      I did mention the bad smell from the gas in the first line.

      What I failed to mention in the post was how careful we were about turning on lights and making sure windows were open to ventilate the gas. Gas can be very dangerous if allowed to fill a room, so we made sure to keep the windows open and reduce the potential for sparks by not using lights in the affected area.

      Delete